Saturday, October 24, 2020

Pretty Pumpkin Potters

 

Autumn is here and I am ready to embrace the season! Are you? 

For quite some time now, I've wanted to come up with some kind of pumpkin potter. I love the look of succulents on top of bright orange pumpkins, but hate that everything is glued on top with no real chance to grow. I even considered cutting open a real pumpkin to make myself a potter, but unless it's super cold outside, I just don't see it lasting more than a week before deteriorating. So I spent the better part of an hour at my local Hobby Lobby to see what I could put together. With so many colors and materials available, I finally found some Styrofoam-filled pumpkins that looked promising. 

What you'll need:
Styrofoam-filled Pumpkin
Plastic Insert for Soil (I used party cups and party bowls)
Preserved Moss
Hot Glue Gun
Cactus Soil
Mini Succulents




Step 1: Trace the widest end of your insert on top of your pumpkin. Use a knife to gently cut along the line. Unless your insert is deep, you won't need to cut too deeply. Remove the Styrofoam. Use a spoon to shape the Styrofoam until it molds around your insert.






Step 2: Use the hot glue gun to seal the crack between the Styrofoam and insert. This is to keep water from seeping into the Styrofoam and making a hot mess.



Step 3: Continue using the hot glue gun to add moss decoratively over the edge. I've used Reindeer Moss for this project.

Step 4: Add cactus soil and arrange succulents, lightly spritzing the roots before planting.

Lightly spritz your succulents every 1-2 weeks unless needed more often. We have good light in our living room, so our potters stay indoors. I will add that my son has had a succulent in his bedroom for several months now that he hardly remembers to water and rarely opens the blinds for. Surprisingly, it's still alive and actually growing in size.









No comments:

Post a Comment